Carly tagged me (on Facebook) in her 25 random things so I figured I should do it — not out of obligation but out of delight to share my random life with all of you wonderful friends.
1. God saved me from sin, death, and hell when I was young, but kind of whacked me over the head when I was 20 to cause me to walk with him. God has since then converted me to Christian Hedonism. In short, that means that worshiping Jesus is a delight and not a duty. It means that I find complete joy and satisfaction in Jesus more than anything in the world. It’s totally biblical, trust me. I got verses to back it up.
2. It’s not officially diagnosed, but I am convinced that God blessed and cursed me with obsessive compulsive disorder with cleanliness and organization. I live in Africa right now, so it’s not the best (i.e. cleanest) environment for me to be in. Hard on the mind.
3. I dated my fiancée for 5 weeks before we got engaged, just like Carly did. Our story is quite amazing and Christ-centered, so you should read the wonderful synopsis my beautiful bride-to-be wrote here.
4. In 6th grade, I purposefully spelled words wrong on a spelling test so that I wouldn’t have to participate in the Saturday morning all metro-area school competition. When I got home, my mom made me correctly write each word that I spelled wrong 20 times on a sheet of paper. She then proceeded to throw the paper away in front of me after I handed it to her. I’m scarred for life.
5. My first car was a bright metallic blue Mercury Tracer that, when looked at it from the proper angle, appeared to be a 1982 Ford Mustang.
6. I read a lot of books by dead guys from the 1500-1800s who loved Jesus. I also love to read blogs from guys and gals who are currently living and love Jesus.
7. I used to have to keep the volume on the TV on an even number or else it drove me crazy (see #2). I stopped this problem by not watching TV.
8. The last meal I would eat before death would be a 16 oz. rib eye steak, mashed potatoes, and grilled lemon-topped asparagus (hint, hint, Carly).
9. I really want to be a pastor because I can get away with yelling at people. (Not really…but kind of. In love, of course.)
10. I love big cities, big churches, big schools, and big families. That’s all I’ve known my whole life. So what do I do? I go and get engaged to a girl who was born on a farm and is from a town with one stoplight and 4,000 people. Oh the strange and wonderful providence of God.
11. I would rather write an essay than take a test. No question about it.
12. I will never wear any pastel colors. Ever.
13. My favorite class in college was English 200 because our professor cussed every now and then. The literature was good, too.
14. If I could be any superhero, I would be Batman. He’s smart, rich, and has so many cool toys, including the Tumbler, which any guy would confess is the sweetest vehicle on the planet.
15. Details, details, details…I love them.
16. Clouds are my favorite part of God’s creation because they change every day-even hourly.
17. I let my brother win in wiffleball when we were younger just so he’d play the next day (sorry, Brian).
18. I have had every possible facial hair arrangement a man can have…in one night. From full beard to soul patch in three hours. (Valor II: StudPlex edition, on December 8, 2007).
19. I picked my major at UNL (communication studies) before the first day of class and in spite of the fact that I had no idea what it was about at all.
20. I will scream like a girl if a bee comes near me when I am by myself, but will act brazen and strong if I am around other people.
21. Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Amen.
22. I have an odd fascination with cemeteries. I love to take times to pray and sing to the Lord while walking in them (especially at Wyuka in Lincoln — I commend it to you for your joy and refreshment). I love to try and figure out whether or not a person wasted their life and what kind of a legacy they left behind.
23. If I could do sports all over again, I would have played basketball instead of baseball.
24. If I could be buried in a t-shirt, jeans, and flip flops, I would. Actually, it’s already in my will. I’m not even making that up.
25. I love the sound of slowly driving over a gravel road.