Sin Darkened Hearts
Pastor Steve Moltumyr
- God reveals righteousness and wrath. Both of them reveal who God is.
- The wrath of God is a permanent, consistent attribute of God that is a holy response to everything that is unholy.
Why do we deserve God’s wrath?
- We suppress the truth about God.
- We don’t lack information about God, we deliberately reject what is uncomfortable for us to hear.
- The universe is God’s signpost that points us to his power and nature.
- At the most basic level, we suppress truth because we don’t like it.
- We refuse to glorify and thank God.
- We are not courteous to God. This cosmic ingratitude causes us to live in the illusion of self-sufficiency.
- Our refusal to acknowledge God is at the root of all our sin. In essence, we want to be our own god.
- We create idols to replace God.
- Idols do not have to be primitive statues of wood or stone.
- If you rest your security in anything other than God, you are putting your hope in an idol. You are an idolater.
- The end result of consistent, unrepentant idolatry is that God gives us what we want.
- As we look at this vice list, it should be like looking in a mirror.
- We must look to Jesus, the only one who never committed one of these sins listed. Even though he was innocent, he took on our sin and God’s wrath so that we might be forgiven and become his righteousness.