I’ve been studying justification by faith for the past couple weeks. I’m sure there are many other things, but as I studied Galatians 2 and 3, I thought of ten things that this doctrine says about God:
- He wants all the glory in the universe for himself.
- He wants man to be saved by faith so that they have no reason for boasting.
- He wants man to praise him for his promise and for his faithfulness in keeping it.
- He is sovereign and just in that he declares some righteous and some unrighteous.
- He is good in providing ill-deserving sinners any way to be holy before him.
- He has a perfect plan that is totally counter-intuitive to anything humans would think up.
- He has a reason for the law, even though some would say it contradicts his promises.
- He takes initiative in that he came to become a curse himself so that people might be redeemed.
- He desires that all nations come to worship him, not just one nation, in order that they might be a new humanity.
- He desires that his Son be the centerpiece of this new humanity.