I was asked a question yesterday about when it would be okay to leave a local church to find a new church home. Obviously, it should be on a case-by-case basis and one should be intensely seeking the Lord during the process. I made a list of nine questions to consider and answer before leaving a church. Perhaps you might find these helpful:
- Is there an unrepentant immorality issue with one of the leaders?
- Do the pastors, elders, and deacons meet the requirements that are found in 1/2 Timothy and Titus?
- Do the pastors, elders, and congregation genuinely love Jesus and people?
- Is the Bible taught and the gospel preached every weekend?
- Is there a missional mindset, focus, and philosophy of: “We want to (and have a plan to) reach this community/city/state for Jesus.”
- Am I getting fed weekly, invested in, and built up in Christ? Does this place fuel my joy in Jesus?
- Do I find opportunities to feed and serve others and build the kingdom here?
- What is my heart’s motivation for leaving? Will I leave speaking poorly of this congreation, tearing it down, or will I leave praying for them?
- Am I just complaining for an excuse to leave or can I really and honestly do something positive to help the area(s) of concern I have?
Can you think of any others?